99.98% of the pipeline is installed on privately owned property in North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, and Illinois. The remaining 0.02% is owned by the Federal Government. The Dakota Access Pipeline does not enter the Standing Rock Sioux reservation at any point.
The only point at which the pipeline passes through public property is a small stretch in North Dakota owned by the federal government. That part of the pipeline consists of 1,094 feet (the length of about three soccer fields) at Lake Oahe in North Dakota.
In fact, eight pipelines currently pass below Lake Oahe, as well as high-energy electrical systems.
Still have questions Contact us.