The pipeline starts at the Bakken and Three Forks shale formations in North Dakota and runs southeast through South Dakota, Iowa, and Illinois, ending near Patoka, Illinois.
he route of the Dakota Access pipeline was carefully designed to transport crude in the safest, most efficient way possible. Working with local tribes, engineers, agriculture experts, archaeologists, and farmers, the Dakota Access team conducted on-the-ground surveys of the proposed route to ensure that they had taken into consideration every aspect of the land in order to mitigate any risks.
The overwhelming majority of the pipeline’s route crosses private land, often already containing utility easements, through negotiated and compensated easements. Dakota Access has held 559 meetings with community leaders, tribes, businesses, agricultural and civic organizations, and local elected officials. There have also been hundreds of meetings with local, state and Federal regulatory and permitting agencies spanning over a 2 ½ year period leading up to the fully permitted and authorized pipeline route. Dakota Access participated in 43 open houses, public meetings, and regulatory hearings throughout 4 states to allow for public input.
Many alterations were made to the route to avoid environmentally or culturally sensitive areas. In North Dakota alone, 140 route adjustments were made to the pipeline during the planning process, including seventeen route adjustments to address concerns from involved parties.
The Dakota Access Pipeline does not cross any land belonging to the Standing Rock Sioux. The remaining area of construction, at Lake Oahe, is home to eight pipelines, including existing non-DAPL owned dual 42-inch pipelines which have been operating immediately parallel to our route for over 30 years. The water inlet for the Standing Rock Sioux will be over 70 miles away from the location of the pipeline by early 2017. The pipeline will be buried 92 feet below the riverbed.
- 99.98% of the pipeline is on private land. The remaining 0.02% is owned by the Federal Government.
- The Dakota Access Pipeline does not cross any land belonging to the Standing Rock Sioux.
- Hundreds of public meetings were held for input as the route was developed.
- Archaeologists ensured no cultural sites were disturbed.
- The route uses the same rights of way as other pipelines, which have safely operated for decades.
Key Questions and Answers about the Dakota Access Pipleline Project
DAPL is more than 90% complete. All that is remaining before the project can be completed is the expected approval of an easement to allow the pipeline to be tunneled into earth 90 to 115 feet beneath the bottom of Lake Oahe.
The Standing Rock Sioux have raised several reasons they are opposed to the project. The most recent argument is that it threatens their water supply and, potentially, their sacred sites.
No. There is no part of the pipeline that crosses or enters the Standing Rock Reservation.
At no point does the Dakota Access Pipeline pass through the Standing Rock Sioux reservation, nor does it impact the Tribe’s water supply.
There are currently 8 other pipelines under Lake Oahe, including existing dual 42-inch pipelines, which have been uneventfully operating just a few feet below the lake bed since 1982.